The sporting world is a buzz right now. Various happenings in various sports have made things interesting for the first time since the NBA finals. [i] Sports in September and the first three days have excited me and helped me keep my head up while fighting through some things. So being the master of all things random, here are a few of the happenings in the world of sport that I think are dope.
- Baseball is always better when the end of the regular season has good story lines. Someone may win the Major League Baseball Triple Crown for the first time in several generations. If Detroit Tigers’ third basemen Miguel Cabrera has a good night at the plate tonight or a better night than Angel’s outfielder Mike Trout he’ll be the first player since 1967 to win the triple crown. This would put him into some esteemed company. This is rarer than O.J. dating a black woman.
- The Oakland Athletics, who are my squad, are in the playoffs for the first time since twenty-ought six and could possibly win the American League West tonight if they beat Uncle Ron and the Texas Rangers. I’m impressed that they’ve won with dudes who are only recognizable to their own mothers, but I’m less impressed with the fans that live in Oakland who just don’t go the ball park, which sucks, to watch the team. Word to Carney Lansford and Dave Henderson, I’m having shades of the Bash Brothers again. [ii] #nosteroids I still don’t like the concept of Moneyball but I’ll take what I can get. [iii]
- The South Eastern Conference is still better than whatever conference your college team plays in. If you don’t like it, then do something about it.
- The Raiders are who I thought they were……………………………………………………. with even worse defensive backs. I honestly wasn’t happy to see them get nickel and dimed by a noodle-armed Peyton Manning.
- Jay Cutler should’ve yelled at his offensive lineman. If you are in the business of blocking then your fat-a** should do just that. Tao of Wu rule number three: Do your damn job.
- Speaking of Jay Cutler- Body language may be the most bullsh*t metric in sports today. Getting hit by Ray Lewis and Clay Mathews is a good reason to have bad body language. I’ll take a pissy quarterback over a cheerleader any day.
- Boxing stepped up big time in September too. Andre Ward vs. Chad Dawson, Sergio Martinez vs. Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr, were all big fights resulting in Ward and Martinez owning their opponents. (By the way I’m over the Mayweather/Pacquiao thing too.)
- I’m glad to see RGIII, his hair plaits, and Andrew Luck doing well but not excelling too fast. I want both to be good quarterbacks but I don’t want the media to heap too much praise upon them so early.
So those are the sports stories that got my attention. What got yours?
Vaya con Dios.
[i] Yes, I just gave the NBA props. I also realize that the Olympics happened this summer too but I didn’t find them remotely entertaining this time out.
[ii] Dave Henderson always struck me as a brother who would have the hook up on ribs. I’m really good ribs too.
[iii] I do realize that Moneyball does work on some levels but up until this year it has been painful to watch the A’s.