Man, what a week!
There were a lot of happenings happening this week. Chris Dorner decided to play Frank Castle. (The rest of the country talks a ton of smack about the south but let’s be honest. When Folks up north or out west, specifically California, decide to show their a**es they TURN IT ALL THE WAY UP.) Soul Brother Number 1 (That’s what I’m going to be called when I’m the president.) a/k/a Honolulu Slim b/k/a Barack H. Obama gave a State of the Union speech. (That I fell asleep on.) Lastly, yesterday was Valentine’s Day, which I hope y’all enjoyed (In honor of that I’ve placed numerous songs throughout the post to help ease the Friday morning love hangover. Hopefully these cuts will help you fondly remember what was put on or in you last night.)
So let’s get this thing going.
1. The entire Chris Dorner thing is just a mess. One sad mess. The entire situation has so many layers to it that sadly will never get fleshed all the way out. America, our law enforcement agencies, people calling Chris Dorner a hero or villain, and the media (or what passes for it these days.) need to sit down and think some things over. We need to examine our savage selves for a moment. I’ll do a post for next week about why we pull for and root against certain people in fiction and real life. *Frank Ocean whistles*
2. Speaking of Frank Ocean—what the hell was that at the Grammies? Was that supposed to be dope? Does that song sound better on his album? Maybe I’m not deep enough for his music. Maybe I’m just simple. (I’m starting to think that last thing may be true.)
3. Nina Simone — In The Dark
4. In a sign that there is absolutely nothing to talk about in the world of sports, ESPN has been celebrating Michael Jordan’s 50th birthday all week. Along with that, the entire sports media establishment has been debating a completely made up news story that wondered whether or not South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney should sit out his junior year to prevent an injury that may or may not happen. How many more days to football season are there?
5. Raphael Saadiq—Still Ray
6. More on Mali. I wonder if France and the west is really going to do the right thing in this case. I also think the nations in Africa should establish their own version NATO that isn’t the African Union.
7. Today is one of those day when I could eat fried fish and French fries for lunch then do absolutely nothing else for the rest of the day.
8. L.T.D—Love Ballad
9. Since I’m a history nut I’ve often wondered what the world was like when my parents were my current age. Here are photos from The Atlantic documenting various sights of the year 1963. I’ll just say that I’m always thankful to have been born when I was. Life just looked hard back then.
10. Why is Rick on the Walking Dead the only member of his crew having major psychotic breaks? First, there was the thing with the telephone and now he’s seeing things. The world for all purposes has ended and everyone is a little crazy but Rick is acting like he’s on PCP.
11. Bootsy Collins–I’d Rather Be With You
12. I’ve been trying to compile a comprehensive family tree of both sides of my clan and I hit some road blocks. If you’re doing the same this article by Henry Louis Gates dealing with Decoding Slave Records may help. Man, our history is just shot to pieces. *smh*
13. The O’Jays –You Got Your Hooks In Me
Y’all have a good weekend.
Vaya con Dios!