Man, f***k an intro paragraph!!!
- If you’ve paid any attention to international news of late you may be somewhat familiar with the crisis in the northwestern African nation of Mali. Mali, which has an extremely rich history has been in a state of flux due to a rebellion by Tuareg separatists and coup d’état lead by members of the Malian military who were less than pleased with their government’s handling of the Tuareg rebellion. Normally, the west is iffy about getting involved in Africa but once Islamists got involved in the rebellion in northern Mali bells started ringing in Washington D.C., Paris, London, and other western capitals. Throw in food shortages, the banning of the arts, and the installation of hardcore Islamic laws in the areas controlled by the rebels and the world’s attention once again turned to Africa. French soldiers and Legionaries with the aid of the United States Air Force Air Mobility Command began landing troops onto Malian soil to “aid” the Malian government and retaking the rebel held territory and restoring order. (Yes, there is still a French Foreign Legion and they secretly kind of badass. Just like the Royal Canadian Mounties.) So my question is this: Is having western soldiers operating in African nations a good or a bad thing? From the perspective of African nations is this a bad thing precedent leading to neocolonialism? Anyone care to do anything about the Congo?
- I could blog about how awesome a show Justified is every week but I don’t want to be a Stan.
- I’m not that into the Super Bowl this year. I actually haven’t been into pro football at all but the game is filled with more than a few interesting players with even more interesting stories. We know about Michael Oher and Patrick Willis’ life but the story of Colin Kaepernick’s birth mom is worth reading too. I’m not entirely sure how I feel about Rick Reilly’s premise but it is a good read.
- What’s the best book that y’all have read lately? I’m looking for suggestions.
- College basketball is so bad right now it’s almost unwatchable. What happened to the talent levels? Am I the only one who feels this way or does it just suck?
- John McCain’s credibility is circling the drain slowly. He went from somewhat upright United States Senator/war hero to your mean granddad in about a decade. Just retire bro.
- If you’re on Twitter, what things do you have muted? I’ve managed to eliminate every Zodiac sign, and Scandal
- God bless you, Colin Powell. I keep waiting on Powell to say something like “I done told you one time!” in an interview. Grumpy old man is so becoming of you.
- This may just be the worst post I’ve ever done. Trust me that’s a feat in itself.
Vaya con Dios!