Although it much of the country feels like downtown Saigon in July, it’s time for football. Professional football players and their bosses have removed their thumbs from their butts and decided to get ready for the highest level of America’s game. College players of all levels have by now reported to campus to begin to get ready for Saturday afternoon activities and NCAA violations. Lastly, high school students are doing the same on a much smaller scale, many with dreams of playing on Saturday and Sunday in the near future.
The NBA probably won’t be around this year, which is fine by me, baseball won’t grab the nation’s attention for another month and a half (And it won’t happen then unless the Red Sox or Yankees make the World Series), and boxing just can’t get out of its own way. With all of these factors in place football will remain king, not only for the next six months but year round. I’m in no way a prognosticator or any other kind of expert but here are a few thoughts, questions, and statements that I have about the upcoming football season.
- Much to my chagrin the Southeastern Conference’s hold on the BCS title may be over. The SEC West has both my squad, Alabama, and LSU. Both teams are poised to dominate the West but there are a few hiccups that may occur. They both have a potential trap games against the Arkansas Razorbacks and they both have to play each other. Something has to give. South Carolina should win the SEC East and play for the conference championship making them a dark horse in the national championship race but it’s to paraphrase the line from Chinatown, “Forget it, Jake. It’s
- Are the New England Patriots, for all of their greatness over the last ten years living off of their name? They haven’t won the Super Bowl since 2003 and haven’t played in one since 2007. Maybe with all of Dr. Doom’s coaching prowess and front office moves the Pats ship may just be getting ready to sail.
- With some luck and a solid left tackle the Detroit Lions will ruin someone’s season.
- I think that some of the good NFL teams from last season is going to stink up the place this year. Unless a lot of people get hurt I don’t think it will be the Packers. Stats show that each season five teams that made the playoffs the prior year doesn’t achieve the same goals the next year. Who will it be? My picks are the Seahawks (Who weren’t good last year but miraculously made the playoffs last year.), the Bears (Still no viable wide receivers and their offensive line is slightly less useful than the Maginot Line.), the Chargers, the Jets (Less talky, more playing.), and the Chiefs. Those are my picks right now but the games haven’t started yet. The Chargers should be a much better team than they are but you never can tell when Norval Eugene Turner is driving the bus.
- The Raiders, my Raiders will overachieve again but will not make the playoffs. The offense is on the uptake but Nnamdi Asomugha isn’t there doing his Willie Brown impersonation on the other side of the ball, taking away half of the field for the Silver and Black D. C’est la vie. *Side note* If a movie is ever made about the Raiders I want Christopher Walken to play Al Davis.
- More major NCAA football programs will find themselves at the mercy of the NCAA and fines and probation will be levied. I’m still curious as to why Urban Meyer left the University of Florida and I just don’t trust my teams coach Nick
- After watching Deon Sanders’ Hall of Fame Induction speech I realized that he is still a drama queen. However he came off as a sincere, drama queen. Love him or hate him, dude could play. Shannon Sharpe admitting that his brother Sterling was better than he was one of the more touching moments of the entire event.
- Merril Hoge’s comments about Tim Tebow have been blown completely out of proportion. More people (His teammates, mainly.) besides Hoge thinks that the greatest living American male, Tim Tebow can’t play dead in a cowboy movie. Sure Tebow is an upstanding young man who excelled in college but he’s not there anymore. I maintain that the “I deserve.” Attitude brought on by the participation trophy era is the primary cause of incidents like this. It’s funny that no one got upset when he said the same thing about Vince Young.
- The Nebraska Cornhuskers are my other dark horse to win the BCS Championship. Ohio State is down and outside of Wisconsin the other Big Ten teams just don’t have the fire power to play with the Huskers.
- Is this the year that the Allendale-Fairfax Tigers achieve football greatness?
- James Harrison’s secret life as a mob enforcer will be revealed due to Harrison’s inability to shut the hell up.
- I’m still not buying in on the Philadelphia Eagles hype. Football doesn’t work with teams being “good on paper”. They’ve got a ton of talent but every football team needs some grinders on both lines and special teams to win the Super Bowl. If they can’t protect Michael Vick they will not win anything that matters.
- The Noon Big Ten games on ESPN will still bore me to tears.
- I still don’t think Jay Cutler is neither soft nor a punk. He plays with diabetus (shout out to Wilford Brimley!) which does let’s say interesting things to your energy levels at times. He also plays behind an aforementioned offensive line that blocks like a drunken matador on a field that is often frozen and looks like someone took a very large disco-harrow to it. So just because he wasn’t hobbling around on crutches that doesn’t mean that his knee wasn’t screwed up.
I’m not going to pretend that I know enough about football to pick who will be playing in the Super Bowl due to the unpredictability of pro football. So this is me just running off with my mouth about the upcoming football season. What are y’all’s thoughts or predictions about the upcoming seasons?
Vaya con Dios.